Lowering Emission, Enhancing Forests in Nagaon
Enhance forest health through REDD+ by converging livelihood, biodiversity and sustainability of ecosystem services; which will all contribute to achieving the state SDGs.
- Ecological data collection to estimate the stock of forests.
- Analyzing Land Use Land Cover change over years using RS/GIS techniques.
- Development of reference emission/forest level for the district.
- Mapping drivers that cause change in forest health through surveys and interviews.
- Decode interventions for each driver through participatory methods.
- Design monitoring, reporting and evaluation plan.
- Inscribe the community and biodiversity safeguards in the REDD+ design.
- Finalize the implementation and financing strategy
PROJECT CONTRIBUTION TO ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY AND ECONOMIC GROWTH
- Forest conservation and enhancement
- Making stakeholders and local communities aware about importance of conserving forests and tree cover
- Enhance quality of existing forests by gap-plantation and assisted natural regeneration.
- Permanent and temporary livelihood generation activities for forest dependent communities
- Promote alternative technology and fuelwood saving technology for household cooking, processing agricultural products and industrial usage to reduce dependence on fuelwood from forests.
- Promote agro-forestry in the district.
- Promote fodder cropping and plantation in the district.
- Conservation of biodiversity hotspot and a world heritage site
- Conservation of endangered species
- Skill and knowledge development